NEBOSH welcomes new Chief Executive, Andy Shenstone
Andy Shenstone took up the post of NEBOSH Chief Executive on 20 March 2023, and stated his intention to continue the charity’s mission for social good:
“NEBOSH’s social and charitable purpose is clear: to make the world a healthier and safer place through education. I’m dedicated to continuing the phenomenal work that the organisation does.”
Andy has 23 years’ experience in education, training and consultancy, with past roles including Group Sales Director for Capita PLC.
In his most recent role at Advance HE, an internationally active member-focused charity he helped create and develop, he was executive leader of domestic and international marketing, sales, business development and commercial solutions.
You can find more information on Andy’s experience and read his full welcome message on the website.
NEBOSH announces five winners of 2023 NEBOSH L’Oréal International Bursary
In partnership with Global beauty brand L’Oréal we were proud to offer a brand new bursary to help women pursue a career in occupational health and safety, where only 18-27% of professionals are women.
The bursary provides five women with paid-for study and assessment fees for the NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety.
Nearly 200 applications were received from women around the world who want to develop their learning, careers and positively influence workplace health and safety.
NEBOSH Graduation and Awards Ceremony 2023
Details have been finalised and invitations are being sent out for the 2023 NEBOSH Graduation and Awards Ceremony, which will take place on Monday 11 September at the University of Warwick, UK.
This joyful event gives our learners the opportunity to celebrate with family and friends and incorporates our best candidates’ awards presentation.
Learners who complete a NEBOSH Diploma or Masters level qualification between 7 June 2022 and 12 June 2023 are eligible to attend, as are diplomates who asked to defer their booking from last year. Email invitations have begun to be sent out to eligible learners and bookings will close on 11 July.
For further information and answers to your questions, please visit the Graduation website, where you can download the Graduation Guide, or email [email protected]
Qualification in Focus: NEBOSH HSE Introduction to Incident Investigation
NEBOSH jointly developed this one day qualification with Great Britain’s Health and Safety Regulator, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). It aims to help you gain the skills and knowledge you need to investigate non-complex incidents effectively and produce action plans to prevent a recurrence.
The qualification offers a range of key benefits including:
- teaching best practice incident investigation (topics covered include how to gather evidence including conducting witness interviews)
- helping to improve safety culture through the adoption of a more proactive and positive approach
- driving down repeat incidents by identifying where lessons can be learnt and the actions that should be taken
It is suitable for anyone who wants to carry out incident investigations effectively.
Webinar catch up opportunity!
Register your details and enter password 5.ayw%ej to watch the recording of Health and Safety Training: more than just a tick box.
This recent webinar features Ian Cooke, NEBOSH’s Head of Corporate and Consumer Services and Rhian Greaves, Legal Director at DAC Beachcroft LLP discussing the importance of training in terms of competency, risk reduction and defending criminal prosecutions.
Rhian explains the employers’ legal obligations, highlighting what the regulators expect to see and works through example case studies to demonstrate some common organisational failings. The session covers both UK Law (Rhian) and international best practice (Ian).
Over the next three months NEBOSH team members are exhibiting and presenting at the following shows:
The Health and Safety Event, 25-27 April 2023, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Safety and Health Expo, 16-18 May 2023, London, United Kingdom
Festival of Work, 7-8 June 2023, London, United Kingdom
Click the links above to register for your free tickets, or to find out more about our plans for each show read on!
NEBOSH to host trio of seminars at the Health & Safety Event 2023
Join us at the 2023 Health & Safety Event in Birmingham from the 25-27 April to meet and catch up at stand 3/J21. We’re also presenting in The Knowledge Exchange on every day of the show so join us there to hear:
1. Give P.E.A.C.E a chance! by Matt Powell-Howard (Head of Product Development at NEBOSH) and Roger Schulp (Group Technical Authority Investigations at BP Limited), Tuesday 25 April at 2.15pm
2. Psychosocial risks: What are they and how do they contribute to sustainability? by Dee Arp (Chief Operating Officer at NEBOSH), Wednesday 26 April at 2.15pm
3. How to use training to reinforce your risk management system and gain team buy in by Ian Cooke (Head of Corporate and Consumer Services at NEBOSH), Thursday 27 April at 1.30pm
Free tickets to hear NEBOSH peer review panel and sustainability seminar
The 2023 Safety & Health Expo takes place at ExCEL London, between the 16-18 May 2023.
NEBOSH is exhibiting throughout so please visit us on Stand SH1450, to find out about our qualifications and services. Plus, join us for the following live sessions on Tuesday 16 May:
1. Matt Powell-Howard, NEBOSH Head of Product Development leads a first-in-kind peer review of the NEBOSH HSE Certificate in Health and Safety Leadership Excellence qualification at 1.25 pm in the Keynote Theatre. The session encourages delegate participation, and explains other elements of NEBOSH’s qualification development cycle, a process people may be able to adapt for their own in-company training courses.
2. Dee Arp, NEBOSH Chief Operating Officer leads a session entitled “The OSH professional and sustainability” exploring workplace culture and psychosocial risks at 11.30 am in the Operational Excellence Theatre.
NEBOSH to exhibit at CIPD’s Festival of Work, 7-8 June, London, UK
We are exhibiting on stand C80 at CIPD’s Festival of Work, located near the Learning and Development stage. We will be showcasing our corporate services, including NEBOSH Endorsed at this show. On Day 1 Ian Cooke, NEBOSH’s Head of Corporate and Consumer Services, will also deliver a session on What does successful training look like in terms of ROI and learning impact?
Case Study: Barbara Derecka
Dual NEBOSH Diploma holder Barbara Derecka is a HSE Manager for JBT Food Tech.
In her inspiring interview with NEBOSH, Barbara explains her journey into health and safety and why it is the perfect choice for her. She also shares her top tips for anyone with similar aspirations.
Watch recordings from our first digital conference!
Our first online conference featured sessions on Risk Management, Careers, Leadership, Human and Organisational Factors and Mental Health and Stress.
The content is still relevant, so if you would like to watch any of these sessions, click on the link to access the playlist on our YouTube channel.
Case study: Rishi Chaturvedi
A new NEBOSH case study telling the career story of Rishi Chaturvedi, HSE Practitioner for Empower Energy Solutions in Dubai.
Rishi explains how he came to work in health and safety, outlining his career highlights and professional development, including his NEBOSH International Diploma.