The International Safety Awards are now open! With 10 award categories including Best in Country, there has never been a better time to get the recognition you deserve for your dedication to excellent health, safety and wellbeing.
What’s new for 2019?
New award categories mean your site, teams and individual employees can all be in with a chance of winning.
You can now upload supporting evidence and obtain bonus marks for recognised achievements, making this year’s awards the most accessible yet!
Applications open early
Applications are now open, so organisations can plan their health, safety and wellbeing activity in line with the theme and requirements of the questions.
Fewer marked questions
We have reduced the number of marked questions from 12 to 10. There are two mandatory, unmarked questions which are essential for the adjudicators to understand the context and background of the marked questions.
Increased word count
The word count for each question is now 700 words, giving more space to provide detailed answers.
Bonus marks for supporting evidence
Five of the 10 questions have a ‘part b’ section, allowing for relevant, supporting evidence to be uploaded. Bonus marks are available for each piece of evidence (maximum of one per question), at the discretion of the adjudicator.
Bonus marks for achievement
Achievement-based bonus marks have been introduced to support applicants in demonstrating their commitment to good health and safety over the past year. More information about the bonus marks and how they are awarded can be found in the marking scheme.
- Questions and enhanced marking scheme
- Guidance notes
- Chief Adjudicator’s Report (2018)
- Frequently asked questions
- Using our application system instructional video – coming soon
- Optimise your application webinar – coming soon
Why apply for an International Safety Award?
- Get the recognition you deserve
- Use your success to win new clients, partners and business opportunities
- Cultivate new talent with our Health and Safety Champion awards
- Reward your team and celebrate your success at our Gala Dinner.
*Early bird ends 31 October 2018
This year there are 10 award categories, allowing companies, teams and individuals the chance to be best in their sector, best in country and more.
Awards are open to everyone as part of their International Safety Award application. Four awards are free to enter outside of the International Safety Awards application.
International Safety Award
Recognises commitment to good health, safety and wellbeing management. Awards are site specific.
Recognise overall ‘best in class’ submissions to the International Safety Awards, by industry sector. This is a great way to stand out amongst peers and encourages best practice.
Sector Award categories are:
- Oil, gas, mining and quarrying
- Power and utilities
- Construction and property activities
- Wholesale and retail services
- Transportation, distribution and storage
- Hospitality, sports and leisure
- Health and social care
- Not for profit
- Financial, IT, legal, scientific and technical services, media
- Local government, defence and public services
- Onshore major hazard.
Best in Country Award
All International Safety Award applicants are entered into this award, providing there is a significant number of applications from the same country. The highest scoring and best overall application will be awarded and announced on the night of the Gala Dinner.
Chief Adjudicator’s Award
Recognises the applicant with the best overall score and demonstration of exceptional innovation or collaboration. The winner will be announced at the Gala Dinner.
Applicants that are awarded a Distinction grade are automatically considered for this award.
Health and Safety Champion of the Year
Recognises the exceptional contribution of individuals aged 25 and over, who are not health and safety professionals, but have played a significant role in keeping their work colleagues safe and healthy. The winner will be announced at the Gala Dinner.
Young Health and Safety Champion of the Year
Recognises the exceptional contribution of individuals under the age of 25, who are not health and safety professionals, but have played a significant role in keeping their work colleagues safe and healthy. The winner will be announced at the Gala Dinner.
Outstanding Bravery Award
Recognises individuals or teams who have demonstrated an outstanding act of bravery, which without their intervention could have led to significant harm to others, damange to property or even loss of life. The winner will be announced at the Gala Dinner.
Team of the Year Award
Recognises the outstanding achievements resulting in a significant improvement to health, safety or wellbeing, from a collaboration of stakeholders which may include members of their organisation, suppliers, contractors and/or the wider community.
Wellbeing Initiative Award
Recognises those organisations who can demonstrate a proactive and effective approach to improving employee wellbeing, through a new or unique objective with a clear and measurable outcome, over and above the organisation’s routine work. The winner will be announced at the Gala Dinner.
You must purchase an International Safety Award application to apply for this award.
Innovation in Occupational Health and Safety Award
Recognises those organisations that can demonstrate fresh and innovative approaches to improving occupational health and safety, with clear objectives and measurable outcomes, over and above the organisation’s routine work.
Your must purchase an International Safety Award application to apply for this award.
Hear from last year’s winners
Download the 2018 winner’s list (PDF, 0.39MB)
Apply now in eight simple steps
- Check that your site/business unit is eligible
- Purchase your entry licences
- Watch this video to understand how to use our application platform – coming soon
- Allocate licences to yourself or colleagues to complete the application
- Watch this webinar and learn how to optimise your application – coming soon
- Read the marking scheme and guidance notes
- Answer 12 questions about your health and safety management, making full use of the support materials available
- Submit your application for marking by our independent adjudication panel, before Friday 11 January 2019.
Buy your application
Buy your 2019 application before 31 October 2018 to take advantage of 2018 prices.
Each application covers a single site or business unit. Applicants wishing to enter several sites or business units must complete a separate application for each one.
Between 1 January 2018 and 31 December 2018, the site/business unit must not have:
- suffered any work-related fatalities
- been subject to any prohibition notices
- been the subject of any convictions in relation to health and safety
- had any ongoing criminal investigations or prosecutions pending in relation to health and safety at the site/business unit.
For further details read the Guidance notes.