Five men have gone on trial accused of responsibility for the death of a construction worker on Dubai’s Palm Jumeirah.
Dubai Court of Misdemeanours heard the Bangladeshi, 34, was killed when a 24 kilo metal bar fell on his head on July 21 last year, on a worksite described as lacking in a wide range of safety precautions.
He was working on a building under construction near at 6.45am when the piece of scaffolding plunged from the third floor and struck him.
"His colleagues carried him to the break room then one of them came to me on the seventh floor and informed me," said one of the defendants, a Filipino a safety officer aged 26.
He said police were called and about 20 minutes later an ambulance arrived. Paramedics failed to resuscitate him and he was pronounced dead on arrival at Rashid Hospital.
Two other defendants, an Afghani, 29 and a Pakistani 28, both safety officers, testified that they were responsible for inspection and risk control as well as providing safety awareness among workers.
For the full article, click here